Friday 13 August 2010






I've been in Aarhus [half way up Jutland on the right hand side] for a few weeks now, for the production period of Korngold's opera “Die Tote Stadt”.
The dead city in question is Bruge. I found it really hard to get into, being as it is the Fruedian story of a man's obsession with his recently deceased wife and her hair. 

It was a huge hit in the 1920's, and now that the band is with us I begin to see why.
Korngold was very young indeed, 23 when he wrote it, and it all obviously just came tumbling out. I'm not enough of a musician to place it properly musically, I'm told it has echos of late Puccini, and there are certainly bits of Strauss, and possibly Weill in the circussy bits.
He certainly doesn't stint himself, orchestrally speaking, 2 harps, celeste, bells, organ, and goodness knows what else.


The fun bits for me are the circus troupe, the procession of dead Brugians, and Marie's portrait- come-to-life and doing a Lois Fuller type dance.



Here are some of the drawings.

No comments: