Friday 13 August 2010

Aarhus 2






The theatre has found me a very nice flat here. It's further away from the opera-house than last time, 2 kilometers across the middle of Aarhus, an ordinary seeming block from the front, but with an endlessly fascinating view across the harbour. The yacht club has its marina directly in front across a cycle way, and to the right is the ferry port and the docks are beyond that. I just love being by the water, I suppose that bits of it are fairly tatty, with graffiti on the boat sheds and so on, but somehow the sea, the ships of all sizes and the light make it lovely.
I rented a bike to get to and from work, also a pleasure in Denmark, as the town roads are organised with bikes in mind, and flocks of cyclists zoom around all over the place. And having got my nerve back and into practice in Balboa Park I do fairly well, if slightly wobbly at start-up still.

Over a footbridge on the quay is a tremendous fish shop, run by a family of enormous Viking fisherman, [5th generation, it says]. I don't think we have such places in the UK, nearly all the fishmongers having been wiped out by the dreary supermarkets. Today, quite apart from the splendid selection of fresh and prepared fishy things, there was a 5' shark on the floor with ice around it, and not looking all that dead. And here is a photo of one of the ugliest fishes I ever saw.
Further harbour excitement was the arrival of an absolutely humungus cruise ship. I counted 9 rows of portholes, not including the bits on the top and underneath. It's gone now, sailing off with much honking of fog horns.

No comments: