Monday 5 April 2010

Setting off for San Diego






Finally off on this adventure.

I am designing the costumes for the entire 2010 season at the Old Globe Theatre in Balboa Park, San Diego. The plays are King Lear and The Madness of George lll [Alan Bennet] both directed by Adrian Noble, and the Taming of the Shrew, directed by Ron Daniels.

There are 80 drawings done at considerable speed which will generate something like 230 costumes - it’s a good thing that Stacy the head of wardrobe is so efficient. I’ve had 41 emails from her so far! Including lists, cross-plots, ‘draper notes’ [US for cutter] I had to beg her to desist from sending me every piece of reference for all 3 shows, sometimes several times over.

I have made prints of George, but will do the others there, partly because art paper weighs so much, and ink is expensive – and I ran out of time.

There is still much colouring in to be done, but the ones on the Hannemuhle Antiqua paper look so nice in pencil that I may just leave them. I’ve put colour notes on the prints instead.

Tomorrow, Ron Cooling the company manager will help us to get local sim cards, there isn’t a phone in the unit, it costs a fortune to use a British mobile, and I can’t rely solely on Skype.

On Wednesday we will go to LA for the dress rehearsal of die Gezechten, [the Stigmatized ones] the peculiar Schreker opera that Sam and I helped out with some principal’s drawings for. Ian says he has been having a vile time, little money no designer and the wrong set. For the Ring Cycle apparently, vertiginous rake and a fixed gauze – terrible idea in my opinion.

No comments: