Sunday 4 October 2009

Belated Fanciulla





Fanciulla del West actually opened in Aarhus on August 16th, which meant that I returned home precisely 10 days before Suzi and John's wedding. There was no time really for blogging, as I had quite a bit of wedding sewing to do. The wardrobe kindly lent me a machine, and my flat was splendidly light and clean, so the dressmaking bit was actually easier than at home in Duck Street, where there are too many dog hairs for comfort. I made Sefa's yellow silk dress, my own jacket in a tastefully wild Briget Rileyesque printed silk, and cut out several miles of bunting.

There are 600 and something pictures of the wedding on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martineauwedding/
so I shan't put any more up here!

I did manage to visit the Old Town, [Die Gamlie By] an extraordinary re-constructed village of nearly 80 buildings from all over Denmark, dating from 1500 onward. It managed to avoid the Disneyland effect danger, and was actually very interesting.
I very much liked the patterns of sunlight on the wooden floor of the newly opened, very brightly painted Merchant's House.
And there was even a tiny theatre built in 1817 and moved from Helsingor, [yes, Hamlet's Elsinor] I home the home town didn't mind, I shouldn't have been pleased if such a delightful theatre, complete with little dressing-rooms and working hemp scene change system had been taken from my home town, but maybe they got a fine new one in exchange.

No comments: